When looking to improve your life style and to buy “greener”, there are some things you should look for in personal care products labelled as “natural”. Specially when many of them are not really natural.
Here are some suggestions to help you on your “natural” cosmetic hunt :
1. Read the information written on the label,don’t just skim the text. Not everything that says natural or made from natural ingredients is true or a good idea to use.
2. Consult your doctor or pharmacist about any medication or dietary supplement you intend on taking.
3. Be very careful with what you take. Remember your body might react allergically to the combination of certain drugs and dietary supplements.
4. When at the store take a bit of time to compare the labels of similar products. One may be labelled “natural” but contain the same harmful ingredients as the other product.
5. Check the list of ingredients.
6. Learn about ingredients before you use products that contain them.
7. Be astute. Ask questions about the product. Don’t just assume.
8. Pay attention to this language or anything that reads similar to these:
“Made with organic essential oils”
“Contains organic ingredients”
“Made with nontoxic ingredients”
“100 percent natural”
“Hypoallergenic/Dermatologist Tested/Allergy Tested/Non-Irritating”
“Anything that would make you believe it is “allergy-free”