COSMOS-standard for Natural & Organic Cosmetic Certification is Launched

The COSMOS-standard certification was officially launched at the Biofach in February. The COSMOS-standard is a new cosmetic certification developed to harmonize various certifications and labels in order to create one standard that is internationally recognized for natural and organic cosmetics.

The new certification is a result of Europe’s leading natural cosmetic certifiers coming together and forming a non-profit association, COSMOS-standard AISBL. The COSMOS-standard association consists of five founding members who now authorize and oversee the certification, including the Soil Association (UK), Ecocert (France), Cosmebio (France), BDIH (Germany) and AIAB/ICEA (Italy).  All current licensees and members of the founding partners are able to apply for product certification. In April it is expected that other certification bodies can apply for accreditation to use the standard.

The new Standard applies to cosmetic products marketed as organic or natural. The certification process will inspect a range of criteria in the following categories:

  • Origin and processing of ingredients
  • Composition of total product
  • Storage, manufacturing and packaging
  • Environmental management
  • Labeling and communication
  • Inspection, certification and control.

The standard goes beyond analyzing ingredients used to formulate the final product. It takes a comprehensive approach to natural and organic certification involving a review of the product’s total environmental and human impact.

Combined, the founding members represent over 1,400 certified cosmetic brands and more than 24,000 products sold in over 40 countries world-wide. The first products certified to these new standards are due to hit shelves in spring/summer 2011.

COSMOS-standard certified products will be labeled with the signature “COSMOS ORGANIC” or “COSMOS NATURAL”, depending on their certification level, in conjunction with the seal of the certification body involved. To get COSMOS ORGANIC certification, 95 percent of a product’s agro-ingredients and 20 percent of the entire product must be organic.

Under the new COSMOS-standard existing schemes run by the founding members will cease to certify new product according to their own standards as of December 2014.  This transition period gives the opportunity for the founder members to phase out their standards over time, allowing their licensees to re-formulate products should this prove necessary.

For more information read the COSMOS-standard here.

Be Sociable, Share!
Facebook Twitter Email
Posted by on Mar 1st, 2011 and filed under NATURAL CERTIFICATION. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

2 Responses for “COSMOS-standard for Natural & Organic Cosmetic Certification is Launched”

  1. Carissa says:

    Wait — only 20% of the product has to be organic in order for it to be certified as organic???? That doesn’t seem right….talk about misleading consumers!!!! Would love clarification if I’m reading into this incorrectly!

  2. Craig Payne says:

    It is a little misleading, but not entirely. The final product does have to have a minimum of 20% organic ingredients to be labeled organic, but that does not mean the other 80% can be made of synthetic ingredients. There are still strict requirements for all ingredients used, other than organic ones. Each type of ingredient is classified into the following categories:
    – Water
    – Minerals and ingredients of mineral origin
    – Physically processed agro-ingredients
    – Chemically processed agro-ingredients
    – Other ingredients

    According to their standards and organic calculations minerals and water are not included as organic ingredients. So, the remaining 80% could be ingredients of 100% natural origins, but not used to calculate the organic percentage. The link to the document below clearly outlines and explains it more thoroughly: http://www.cosmos-standard.org/docs/COSMOS-standard_v1.1_310111.pdf

Leave a Reply

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.